Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Today

Today I took Miah to record data on salamander egg masses in Cades Cove.  We went with a more experienced volunteer.  My favorite part was watching Miah being her mature, confident self, so different than I was at her age.
 photo 81ad911f-651e-42cd-9525-587261ca91b8_zpsdadf13f5.jpg
There were 201 egg masses in the first pond, all at various stages of development.  We also saw a pileated woodpecker, wood ducks, red-shouldered hawk, a wren, and a bird we weren't able to identify.  A white-tailed deer ambled right past us. 
When we were done at the ponds and had eaten our sack lunch, we learned how to record data on a phenology plot.  There was nothing going on yet plantwise, but we saw promises of soon-to-be-emerging buds and blooms.  One aspect of the phenology plot is listening for birds.  I don't know bird songs, but our guide pointed out the calls of robins, juncos, and a blue-headed vireo.
Meanwhile, Jeremiah was home with the other kids.  Yesterday he built a fence around the garden to keep the chickens out, and today he tilled it for me.  In the snow.
 photo ed0fdb2c-1e21-499b-b607-948c1e90c2b2_zps166c96fd.jpg
Soon . . .

3 comments:

  1. That's a mighty ambitious looking garden! A teeny tiny part of me thinks that I could handle that right now, but then the rest of my brain locks that little part back in her nice padded room and says- No, I am no where near being able to commit to a garden of that caliber. Yours looks exciting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great experience. How did you find out about something like that? I know Ethan would love that type of stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel- about half will be flowers, so less work there.
    Bowling- go to Tremont website and click on citizen science

    ReplyDelete