Saturday, May 26, 2012

What's Goin' On

I organized the craft cupboard. Zahana and Rohan were inspired.


Larkin is really good at calming Elowen down when she's fussy.


Yesterday, I gave Miah and Larkin an end-of-the-year test for math. I was slightly nervous. Did they really learn what they were supposed to learn? Did it hurt that they did their math lessons on their own, without me instructing them? Were they ready for the next grade's math? Well, they both just completed Saxon 54, and they both passed the test. Then I gave them the test for Saxon 65, just because I wanted to see what they would do. Miah did really great. I was surprised how well she did. She didn't pass, but I didn't expect them to pass a test for a book they hadn't studied. But Larkin passed. I was stunned. According to the test results, he's ready to begin Saxon 76, the 6th grade book. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. For now, we're not going to worry about any Saxon math for a few months. But I have lots of math plans. I bookmarked some of these online math games for the kids to play. I'd like to start watching some math videos at Khan Academy. We're going to play lots of mathy, strategy, logical, thinking games. We're going to do origami math and geometry (haven't decided which book) and lentil math and Life of Fred and Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table Math and Hands-On Equations. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it goes.
Maybe we'll just sit around counting our money instead.


There have been a LOT of rabbits around here lately. Larkin took some pictures of them.




Miah browsed Art Projects for Kids and decided to make pom poms.




Just playin'.




I wanted to spin today, but when I had a few minutes I took pictures instead.










3 comments:

  1. I think Zahana has had a growth spurt. I've really enjoyed the Hands on Equations curriculum. You guys look like you're having so much fun! Can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of Larkin and the baby! You know I had that same thing with Duncan. I moved him into pre-algebra at 5th grade and haven't regretted it a bit.

    ReplyDelete