Friday, February 17, 2012

Chicken Colors

We went to see a friend's chickens today, and I couldn't resist taking pictures of all the pretty colors.


















About a month ago, I sat down to order some chickens online, but the chickens I wanted wouldn't be deliverable until May. We have a trip planned for June, so receiving day-old chicks in May didn't seem like a good idea. Plus, shipping prices really stunk. So we found some month-old chicks locally. They're not as exciting as the ones I wanted, but they'll do the job. If they live. We've already lost two this week to a hawk. Stinkin' hawk. I really don't know what to do about it. I would be even sadder though if it was eating my blue andalusians, blue cochins, salmon faverolles, cuckoo marans, and blue-laced red wyandottes (sigh).




5 comments:

  1. We had a hawk eat one of our favorite chickens a couple weeks ago. Sadly if your chickens free range...it's part of nature. We have tried to confine ours to a co-op and run in our backyard, but they always find a way out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your chicks will stay in their pen then you might try stringing fishing line back and forth over it. I've read that hawks can see the fishing line and they wont try to fly past it to eat your chickens, I think you are supposed to string it about a foot to a foot and a half apart... don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what lovely colours! We have brown and white coloured chickens, but I would love to buy some colourful ones. I am so sorry the hawk took two of your chicks, that is just sad! Thank you so much for your lovely email the other day I will be replying soon, promise:)
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hawks, foxes, raccoons, coyotes, it's an uphill battle. If you get a rooster, he will signal a warning call when there is a hawk and your ladies will get under cover and quick, he will stay at the edge of the bush or whatever and keep watch and will let them know when it's safe to come out. He' ll also find and point out food for them and not eat it himself. A good rooster is like a very chivalrous gentleman (a bad one, better in the soup pot). They aren't much help against the bigger predators, but do help with the hawk problem. You might want to consider getting one. Um, also only if thry are in a coop at night. That will muffle his noise in the morning, and by morning, I mean around 3 or 4 am. Good luck. Love chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...I miss watching my chickens....and my boys can name each and every chicken in those pictures :) Thanks for taking care of them!

    ReplyDelete