Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week in Review

This week, several of our activities started up again. Sunday, we had church small group, and Tuesday we had co-op. I meant to bring my camera to co-op but forgot. The kids did several activities to learn onomatopoeia and alliteration. Then they did a group art project which you can see here and here. (I'm glad other people had cameras, because I really liked the end result of the art project.) Thursday, Miah and Larkin had scouts, and today we had some friends over to play.
Socialization: check. ;)
We've been doing lots of learning on the Civil War, but I'll save that for its own post.
Miah and Larkin are getting used to doing their math, grammar/letter writing/story writing, daily devotionals, and personal projects independently. They worked much more efficiently this week.
In Artistic Pursuits, Miah is learning about line and space.












For his rain forest project, Larkin read Afternoon on the Amazon and the accompanying Rain Forest Guide (both Magic Tree House). He drew this snake, made a couple of paper puzzles and pockets for them for his notebook, and a pop-out rain forest picture.

We've also been watching Into the Amazon, which Larkin received for Christmas. We are all enjoying this DVD series, and I recommend them. They are full of fascinating information, and it is all from a young earth creationist perspective. We also got the Jonathon Park Goes to the Amazon CD's for him, but I do not recommend them. While I am absolutely a young earth creationist Christian, I get frustrated with some of the educational materials available. If I buy something that says it's about the Amazon, it's because I'm looking for material to help my children learn about the Amazon. Only about 10% of these CD's are actually about the Amazon (as if there wasn't enough to learn on this subject!). The rest is religious dogma. And even though it's my own religion, I got tired of it. (I was also disappointed in the lack of emphasis on stewardship.) I have had the same problem when looking for creationist dinosaur material. So what happens is, we end up having to pick through secular, evolution-saturated texts to find any actual information on the topic. We are already young earth creationists; we don't need to be convinced. What we want is information about God's amazing creation! I guess evolutionary books and videos are the same way. You can find some that are so bent on selling their position, you can't get through to any meat. But most are actually about the topic stated and just sprinkle evolutionary sentences throughout. It really makes me want to write good kid books from a young earth creationist perspective that are actually FULL of intriguing information about God's wonderful creation. (Yeah, maybe in another life!)
(P.S. This was my first experience with Jonathan Park, and I've heard that they are really good, so maybe this one was an exception. Additionally, I have always been very happy with material from Apologia.)
Well, enough of the ranting.
We've had lots of gray, wet days this week. Thursday especially was so rainy, except for an amazing 5 minutes, when the sun came out unexpectedly and brilliantly, and a beautiful rainbow shone fleetingly in the sky.


"I saw the lovely arch
Of rainbow span the sky,
The gold sun burning
As the rain swept by."
~Elizabeth Coatswort



We've had a fairly steady stream of little birds visiting our deck since the kids put out the bird food.


Plenty of time for play.


Zahana has been working on CVC words and reading 2-digit numbers. Rohan is not so interested, but I'm sure he's absorbing.


We did actually have a bit of snow Thursday night. This morning I read some snow books to the little ones and made them some snow dough. I thought it was very pretty. Recipe found at The Imagination Tree via The Chocolate Muffin Tree (Zahana's favorite blog.)







"If we value independence, if we are disturbed by the growing conformity of knowledge, of values, of attitudes, which our present system induces, then we may want to set up conditions of learning which make for uniqueness, for self-direction, and for self-initiated learning." ~Carl Rogers

4 comments:

  1. I love your posts and wanted to leave a comment on this NAtional Delurking Day! Your posts are always inspiring and you have such adorable kids! Love the cardinal picture! Our cardinals are always very skittish around movement, so I haven't gotten any good pictures of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a full week! I'm so amazed at all the things you manage to fit in. I always feel like I'm trying to scrape together materials and projects/crafts at the last minute. Do you plan ahead for all of these things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I try to plan, but I don't always. A week at a time is about all I plan ahead for. Mostly all the planning I have to do at this point is the PK, since we follow texts for the big kids and they are working more on their own. The outside activities are pretty much there on the calendar except for having friends over, which does require thinking ahead. The snow dough was spur of the moment, because I needed Zahana and Rohan to be occupied so I could bake bread. I don't like making out detailed long term plans because you just never know what will come up or how things will go. Being our second week back to school after a month-long break, I'm staying on track pretty well, but as I wear down, i tend to plan less and wing it, but that's not always a bad thing. I'm starting to get enough experience under my belt and stuff in the house to be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful week. The artwork is lovely and I always love a rainbow!

    ReplyDelete