Monday, October 31, 2011

Typical Monday

Breakfast, Bible, chores. Miah had time to read Kaya.
Then off to Monday Fun classes.
I snuck a picture of Miah in her Color Theory class.


Zahana and Rohan played a game with rhyming words while we waited for our class to start.


And matched upper case and lower case letters.


We learned about Johnny Appleseed in my history class. First, we had a story. Then everybody tried a slice from five different apples. And we played a game. I split the class into two teams and gave each kid an apple. Using a pot to carry their apple, each team member had to take turns racing to a the center of the room where I had a row of states cut out from cardstock and labeled. They were the states Johny Appleseed planted apple trees - Massachusetts, Ohio, Indiana, New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. So they had to race to see which team could get all their apples to the states first. We made each round more difficult by how they carried the apple - in the pot lid, on their heads, etc.


(Last Monday's class was on slavery and was my favorite class so far. I didn't take any pictures, though. We read Follow the Drinking Gourd, then I passed out two cotton bolls to each kid. They picked the seeds out of one to see how long it took - about 10 minutes. The other one was just for taking home. Then we made mancala games using egg cartons and beans.)

Time to unwind by flying down the stairs on giant fish pillows. Then playing outside.


Suppertime. Bathtime. Nest Entertainment Bible stories on YouTube - Miah's request, I didn't even know they were on there.
Miah started her rag rug.


I fixed Zahana's hair, and we had such a good talk about letter sounds and spelling. She is just so ready for all this. First, she started talking about how to spell bathtub. I helped her sound it out, and she actually spelled it except for the "th". This is the very first time she's made the connection of sounds to letters - at least in that she was able to say which sounds were made by which letters. I love it! Then she wanted to spell several more words, so we did, together.
When I finished all the little braids with beads, it was time for bed.
Full day.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful Monday!! I can't wait to see the progress of the rag rug=)

    ReplyDelete