Saturday, October 15, 2011

Time Together

Zahana and I spent a few hours home alone on Thursday. We found a fun new blog, The Chocolate Muffin Tree, and Zahana browsed through it to find some things she wanted to do.
First, we made gak. After playing with and exploring the different properties of it a while, she decided to experiment by adding ingredients. Adding sprinkles, salt, cinnamon, and cloves didn't give any results, but baking soda did. It got all slimy and the water started coming out of it.


Then we made fingerpaint.




Then she wanted to make cut out cookies. She wanted shape cookies. She's been loving shapes for probably over a year. We mixed up the dough, then realized we didn't have enough flour to roll them out. So she just made little patties with sprinkles.


Which tasted just as good.


I learned some things about my little girl. When browsing through the projects, she kept saying she didn't want to do any drawing. She wasn't interested in anything that had any coloring or drawing in it at all. Those are the things I would have picked out for us to do. What she was excited about was anything messy. The messier the better. I have always known she likes a mess. Her messes are memorable and many. She far exceeds anyone else in mess-making. And this has always been a source of frustration for me. I saw her messes as either mindless destruction or outright naughtiness. But Thursday the light came on in my slow, dense mind. To her, they are not messes, they are experiments. She is an experimenter. She is a scientist.
And now that I know, I feel like I can direct her in more constructive, less maddening pursuits.
Let the fun begin. :)

3 comments:

  1. With an almost-one-year old in my house, it is so interesting to read this paragraph about Zahana and how you continue to learn who this little girl was created to be and enjoy and live out. And how great to recognize it. It makes me excited to keep getting to know who Ivar is and what he will delight in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's huge! And so, so true, isn't it?! I also find it difficult to discern my children's giftings and when a "light bulb moment" reveals something, it's so delightfully revealing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special to get all that time with one child. So glad you stopped to listen to her to know what she wanted.

    ReplyDelete