Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Very Good

In my last post, I popped a little surprise in at the end, but I think that picture really deserves its own post.
Baby #5 is due in April. Yes, we were trying. No, we're not crazy. It's just that . . . well, Rohan is almost four! And we like babies, and four-year-olds really aren't babies anymore, are they?
The kids are excited. You should have seen Miah's face when we told them. She looked SO happy. I remember being her age or maybe a little older and wanting a baby brother or sister. I hope she likes the baby as much as the idea of a baby.
I think things will be a little different having older kids while pregnant. I'm just waiting for "How did it get in there?" So far, no morning sickness, but I've been napping a lot and generally just dragging around and yawning excessively. School will be done for the year by the time the baby arrives, and we'll have a nice long break. I just pray I will remain diligent through the coming months.
An amazing thing to me is to realize that God has always known about this baby. While it may surprise other people and we ourselves are a bit surprised as we thought (for a while) that we would be done with four kids, God knew it all along. From the very foundation of the world, this child has been planned by Our Beautiful Creator for this moment in history. And everything He does is good. This baby is a very good thing. Our God is so good to us to bless us in this way. When I look at myself, what kind of a mother I am, what kind of a person I am, I wonder why in the world He would choose to bless me again. Haven't I failed enough? Aren't my kids wounded in ways I probably will never know because of words I've said or things I've done? And yet, here is a new life growing inside me. A brand new blessing. Another gift from God. Why would He give gifts - beautiful, lavish gifts - to a sinner like me? Because He is good. He, alone, is good. Praise Him. Praise Him.
"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11
"My heart rejoices in the LORD . . . No one is holy like the LORD, for there is none besides You, nor is there any rock like our God." 1 Samuel 2:1,2
"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. . . For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And his mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation." Luke 1:46-50

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! What a happy family this baby will be born into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah! Now you've gone and made me cry! Again, I am so very happy for you all! With much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! If Miah's anything like Tera...that baby will be her baby, too!

    This is actually Christy, but when I tried to log in, it said I didn't have access to your page...so I log in under JP and it worked. So on your blog...I'm now known as JP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so good. God is so good. I love the part of pregnancy when you realize this is all God's creative work going on inside of you, and that really you just have to eat well, sleep often and love this little bundle that is growing every day inside of you.

    SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!
    Joyfully,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah, what wonderful news! News of a brand new baby is always special. :) Your little one is going to be very blessed being part of your family! All the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! 5! That's a big number! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Oh, how wonderful! Enjoy your pregnancy Sarah! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, Sarah! :) How exciting! My Annie reacted the same way as your Miah! She was sooooo excited. I am 20 weeks along with our number 5 also! Thank you for your encouraging words and thoughts!!! I feel the same way about myself as a mother often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I agree, why would the Lord entrust such precious gifts to a mess like me???!!! But I think in addition to the fact that He is good, it is just another way He is working on me, growing me, and shaping me into the image of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! You are one lucky mama:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, this post is so beautiful and I am so happy for you! (and behind on reading blogs :) I love how you said "we thought (for awhile) we would be done with four kids. That is how I felt before we got pregnant with Micah. And what a joy he has been! And being pregnant and having a baby with older kids is wonderful!! (and if Miah is anything like Rebekah, she will be quite the little Mommy! Congratulation!!

    ReplyDelete