Saturday, July 30, 2011

Got Milk?

Finally, I can say YES! We've been without our raw milk for a couple months at least. We had switched to a closer source, which ended up being very unreliable. In order to go back to where I was getting milk before, I would have to pay a lot to get the cow shares back. Plus, there's all the driving to pick up the milk which is a hassle. So we just decided to have our own little milkers in the back yard. Don't have to drive, don't have to buy shares and a monthly "boarding fee", don't have to rely on anyone else.

We drove 5 hours to get a goat already in milk. Miah occupied herself with the drop spindle on the way. And we listened to hours and hours of The Story of the World.


Here they are, safe at home. Niankhe on the left is a Nubian/Nigerian Dwarf cross. Sapphire on the right is a Nigerian Dwarf/Silkie cross.


Children eagerly awaiting their milk. Niankhe is the one milking right now, and Sapphire is pregnant, due to kid in early December.

Oh. Did I say we wouldn't have to depend on anyone else? Well, that's not entirely true. We depend on the goats, which are too unsettled and too stubborn to be happy about producing milk for me right now. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy sitting and milking, although I am very slow. And maybe it's my slowness that's causing Niankhe to be less than cooperative. But we are getting some fresh milk. And we all love it.

Oh happy day!

Oh happy happy day!

10 comments:

  1. that is so great! and the kids look as if they love it! i am so thankful to have a very close and reliable source of raw milk. VERY thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...how fun! How often will you have to milk? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. !!! So happy you finally decided to get some! Goats are great additions, we love ours. And I wish we had milk now as opposed to next spring at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! And a baby goat on the way!!! Can't wait to hear more about how this goes when Niankhe settles in a bit.
    Joyfully,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! We get milk from a neighbor a couple of miles away, but we are hoping to get our own goats in the spring. Yes, oh happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! With our large family, a cow made better sense, but she is adored and treasured above just about all our other possessions! She is our milk, butter and yogurt (and will be our cheexe, too, when I have more time for it).

    Enjoy your fresh, raw milk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TheBowlingFamily - I milk at 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so pretty... Rodrigo wants to get some, he saw yours grazing yesterday, and came home all excited to tell me about them. Maybe next year we will be better able to deal with the extra responsibilities involved in having goats... not right now though, my plate is full! I am so happy for you!! Hope they calm down and start giving more milk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your goats are just so pretty! Lucky you having lots of fresh milk to guzzle! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I feel so far behind!! I am very happy for you as you begin your goat adventure.

    ReplyDelete