Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bird Experiments

Virginia Lee at The Rogers' Family Blog has a wonderful bird unit that has been helpful to me in creating our own bird unit. We recently did her bird beaks experiment, which I tweaked a bit.
Here are our supplies: scissors, spoon, clothespin, and tweezers to represent different types of bird beaks and peants in the shell, a meaty bone, sardines in a bowl of water, and little noodles (worms.) And this bird beak printout.






Snack time!


We are doing a longer term experiment to see which birds prefer black oil sunflower seeds and which prefer safflower seeds. We just nailed a couple yogurt lids to the deck rail for simple feeders.




Making suet.


We've also been reading The Thornton Burgess Bird Book for Children.
And I made a bird bingo game with pictures of common birds to help the kids learn their names.

6 comments:

  1. Awwww, serious fun going on there! Takes me back to our reading of Burgess and fun bird studies and bird watching. Have you been watching the eagles hatch on the Decorah, IA eagle cam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we just watched it a little bit ago. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! My boys would love the bird beak experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad the posts were helpful in planning your unit. I will have to check out the Burgess book.

    Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ordered the Burgess book from Amazon. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing how to do those pretty stars...I'd love to take a morning and give it a try. An older man (who dumpster dives at the school where he is a custodian...how cool is that?) just gave me a stack of tracing paper he * rescued*. Now I have something to do with it besides let the kids type on the old manual typewriter with it.

    thanks loads and loads!

    Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete