Saturday, February 19, 2011

February Gardening Day


I'm so excited about our garden this year. I'm so excited about our garden every year. Despite the fact that it's always somewhat of a failure, every year I'm convinced that THIS is the year we're going to have a really great garden.

Last year (after our garden was planted) I read some gardening books - permaculture, square foot gardening, companion planting. So this year, I'm combining some of those ideas, and I'm sure the garden's going to be wonderful.

We're not planting in rows but four foot wide blocks with various compatible plants in each section. And I hope to use more trellising to make better use of our space. I think it will be a fun experiment.

And I think we may actually get things planted on time too. That should help. :)

13 comments:

  1. I'm getting into the gardening spirit this weekend too. Like you every year my dreams and expectations tend to exceed my actual accomplishments but how I do love trying to plant that "perfect" garden.
    By the way I envy your stash of gardening books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, i just get books fromt he library and friends - cheaper that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to get things tilled today. What did you plant so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful space for gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peas, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, lettuce, salad burnet, turnips, carrots.
    Was that right? I've never planted so early, so I'm wondering how everything's going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a bunch of seeds for our very first garden! I didn't know you could plant already! That's awesome. Hope your garden turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds about right- don't know about the turnips since I've never done them, and carrots can continue to be planted through out the spring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously? Are those pictures of short-sleeved, barefoot children from TODAY????

    Wow. We're shoveling up here in New York. Snow, I mean, not dirt. sigh...

    Ah well, I'm sure the groundhog wouldn't lie to us; spring must be coming. Thanks for the preview! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the best. Children planting. How we look forward to the coming spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Ya'll can plant so early. We live in Colorado and cannot start planting till May. Gardening always fills you with such hope and excitement. It's wonderful that you all do it as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! You really have a great variety of seeds!

    We are in a CSA but we may try a small garden this year! Definitely looking forward to the joys of spring!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last year I decided instead of buying already potted veggies we were going to plant them. I was so excited when our little sprouts came up, but unfortunately they were overwatered by the most sweet-hearted, over-zealous little girl. We are going to be moving the middle of spring this year, so I'm totally forgoing the planting. Can wait to see your little sproutlings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete