Saturday, February 5, 2011

The American Revolution Part 1


Miah has been reading the Felicity books. This is a big step for her, to read a series of real books like this. She's doing so good and enjoying them too. I am somewhat uneasy about them. I remember reading them and liking them as a kid. I didn't remember that Felicity was a disobedient kid who was rewarded for her offenses. So we've had some discussions.
We've been moving along somewhat slowly this month in history due to bouts of illness.
Thanks to a commenter, we finally found a great series on the American Revolution, Liberty's Kids. The kids love it. I even learned a few things from it. We also watched Johnny Tremain and listened to the audiobook, Mr. Revere and I. We've read through The Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party, Phillis Wheatley, Lexington and Concord, Paul Revere, the Battle of Bunker Hill, the Declaration of Independence, the Liberty Bell, Thomas Paine, Betsy Ross, and Washington crossing the Delaware. Library books, of course.

Work on the notebook has been slower than the reading. Here are the free resources we are using for the above topics:
American Revolution Lapbook
American Revolution Notebooking pages
Make a Cornhusk Doll
Boston Massacre NB pg
Paul Revere fill-in-the-blank
Coded Message
Patriot Spy Online Game
Liberty Bell pg
Cut a 5-Point Star
Flag pg
Betsy Ross
Unfortunately, I can't link directly to pages on Homeschool Share, but there's plenty there to find.

The kids have placed several bookmarks in a colonial craft book, and I'd love for them to play around with some poetry since we read Phillis Wheatley's, so if we ever get around to all that, I'll let you know.
But I'm starting to think that Books are enough.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! My husband and I are Revolutionary War Living Historians. We used to portray loyalist Scots from the Sir William Johnson patents of the Mohawk Valley/Johnstown area of New York State. My husband was a Sgt. in the 84th RHE. Now we're on hiatus due to hubby's career change, but we've turn coated and joined the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons. Hubby's being trained to ride and take a horse into battle. Once his training is complete and he feels confident on his own, he's looking into turn coating again and being in or starting his own loyalist mounted dragoon unit.

    www.dragoons.info
    www.coloniallivinghistory.org (more French and Indian War, though)

    I can't send you to the 84th's main website. The man who runs it (not affiliated with the unit hubby and I were in) has a section that's inappropriate.

    www.oldfortjohnson.org
    www.brigade.org
    www.britishbrigade.org
    www.bvma.org
    www.continentalline.org
    www.nps.gov/sara
    www.fort-ticonderoga.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, Thanks for all the links. I would love to take the kids on a trip to NY and Philadelphia. Doesn't look like we can do that this year though - maybe next.

    ReplyDelete