Friday, January 7, 2011

Newly Arranged

So today was the day. A day to begin again. To enjoy a newly arranged room. And a newly arranged day. To refresh a bit. To dive into the American Revolution.

The room. We call it the Forest Room. That was before I had a blog.

Before we called it "The Forest Room", we just called it "The Bonus Room." Then Jeremiah finished it up and painted it - blue sky with clouds, green on the slant with leaf impressions, tree-trunk-brown on the walls with a bark texture. We had to call it something besides "Bonus Room," don't you think?


Now we've fixed it up a bit more - new shelves for the games that were threatening to take over, more play space and work space for the little ones, their toys, books, puzzles, and an art table.





I had it locked for a couple days, waiting for The Day - that would be Today.
We had breakfast, sang some memory verse songs, did some chores, played together a bit.
Then we went up.
















Zahana and Rohan played and explored while Miah and Larkin got down to the serious business of playing Fjords . . .


. . . and multiplication war. And other games. And reading. And looking back through the history notebooks they made. And George vs. George.


And we tried a couple videos on the American Revolution that just didn't work out - either too dull or too gory. But we started Little Pilgrim's Progress, because yesterday we finished The Return of the King. We've been having a wonderfully cozy read-aloud time nearly every day for a few months now - all six of us. And that works out very nicely. Then we also started There's a Sheep in my Bathtub at bedtime, and I'm looking forward to the rest of that story.
And little Rohan helped me make a new recipe - Maple Milk - mmmmm!


And despite the fact that this January is, so far, just as gray as last January, this one's looking a lot sunnier on the inside. And not just because of nice neat rooms . . .

8 comments:

  1. Great room and it looks like it's being put to good use! Must admit to a little bit of jealousy here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great room! My kids loved the Liberty Kids animated series on the Revolution.

    I would like to ask you if you would like to read and review my novel. I could send it to you the pdf file or the Kindle version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where oh where did you get the felted tree stump?
    I would LOVE to make one for my girls!
    If you made please would you let me know how?
    Blessings,
    Pen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room looks great! Miss seeing you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the tree stump. I would like to start selling them in my etsy shop soon. Next time I make one, I'll post pics for a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh how lovely Sarah! We too have been doing a little re-organizing in our school/play room! It is lovely when everyone can enjoy being in there more!

    Loving the photographs! Rohan looks so big now, he is growing into a little man so fast! Your felted playscape is just lovely and must have taken a long time to make the tree stump. I made my daughter one for Christmas I will try and post some photographs shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun room! We are doing TONS of reorganizing in our house to fit the newest member who is quickly going to be on his way in the next few weeks. I love what you have done and the cleaness of your space. It is so much easier to get stuff done when you have a clean slate to start with.

    Blessings,

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sarah,

    I love the pictures of the children exploring their wonderful new play and learning space, especially Rohan, who is so intently looking and looking. love, Beth

    ReplyDelete