Sunday, November 21, 2010

Marble Springs

"History is a great dust heap." ~Thomas Carlyle
I thought so too.
Until I started teaching my kids.

We visited the John Sevier house this week with some fellow homeschoolers. It's probably been a couple years or more since we've been there and the kids didn't remember the place. We had a tour, the kids made a cup-and-ball game, then we wandered around some more.
I don't think the kids are going to forget what life in early America was like. I feel like we've been marinating in it for the past three months!















"It should be known that history is a discipline that has a great number of approaches." ~Ibn Khalduin of Tunis











"History is life..." ~Louis Gottschalk

(OK, I'd like to end with that nice little quote, but I feel the need to qualify it. Not that history gives life or that we live, eat, sleep, and breathe history. But history is about life and is therefore fascinating. Which I'm sure you understood. But there it is anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment