Friday, October 15, 2010

Meet Runa

Jeremiah wanted a puppy. We've had trouble with dogs in the past, so it is with a bit of trepidation that I met his request. It's not that I didn't want a dog. I love dogs. I have often silently wished we had one. It's just that I don't like getting rid of dogs. I hate getting attached and then having to part. I didn't want to have to put the kids through that again either. I'm pretty sure Jeremiah had no idea how nervous I felt about it though. Maybe that's because I immediately glued myself to craigslist. But I've been praying too. That we would finally find the perfect dog for our family. A dog we could keep and love for as long as it lives.
And here is the result.


She's a lab/ golden retriever mix with one blue eye. Larkin says she's the cutest puppy he's ever seen.


We introduced her to the chickens.






She's a sweetie, playful, and so far, pretty quiet.

And it looks like she knows her place. :)

P.S. About her name. I tried to stay out of it. I really did. I didn't say anything for about three hours. But I ended up naming her. It's like Rune with an "a". Everybody likes it except Zahana. She insists that her name should be Rainbow even though that's the name of one of our chickens. So Runa it is.

12 comments:

  1. Awww, so cute! But I'm not sure it was a great idea to introduce her to the chickens. . . :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my she is a cutie! puppy love!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! What beautiful eyes too! She appears pretty calm in the pictures. Enjoy! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! We have had a problem with dogs before too, but then we found our beagle/Jack russell mix, Gypsy, at a shelter and she is wonderful. We rescued two Shih-tzu brothers and had a few problems with them and the chickens, but no more. The boys are asking if they can get a puppy for them because apparently these dogs are mine :) We have a "Rainbow" chicken (actually rooster) too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dog!! Hope it goes well. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shonya, I'd rather she meet them now, when she can respect them for their size and scary flapping wings, rather than when she's bigger than them and can catch and eat them. Hopefully the respect will last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, Zahana! Our dog was Star before we even got her, but our 4 year old insists on calling her Wishbone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww...she is the sweetest puppy ever! I love her brilliantly blue eye...how unusual!

    Poor Zahana...though I'm totally with you where letting kids name animals are concerned...we've had some very oddly named animals also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your puppy is so adorable. I hope he brings great joy to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My ds 5 wants a dog SO bad also! Dh isn't quite on board yet...of course, dd 7 wants a horse too! :P ;) Runa is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yes. Miah wants a horse. I do too for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo sweet!! Wish you a nice time with the new family member!!

    ReplyDelete