Friday, October 1, 2010

Handmade Birthday

Rohan is really into pretend play right now. He can hang on to two little rocks - a mommy rock and a baby rock - all day. Or spend an hour playing with a shell and a feather. One of his (and the other kids') favorite things is a little box of various clay, wooden, and stone animals with a couple pinecones thrown in.


This year, for his birthday, I decided to make a few things - just a few. I spent a lot of time browsing etsy and blogs (like Twig and Toadstool) for ideas and designs, because I'm not too creative on my own. Well, I had so much fun making, that I made lots of little goodies for him. With the help of the rest of my family. It was so nice to be able to work on these projects together for the special littlest boy in our lives.

Our window stars were starting to look faded, so Miah and I made some new ones for the festivities.


And we dyed a couple of playsilks I had left. For the blue one, I used blue gel food coloring and for the brown, purple and orange kool-aid.


Larkin helped me paint drawer knobs to look like toadstools.




Jeremiah and I made a cave, a mountain, two trees, and some little animals out of wood, painted with watercolors, and rubbed with beeswax polish.








Some wooden peg dolls by me and the kids.


And my favorite - peg people with felt clothes. I could make these little guys all day. I only stopped because I ran out of pegs.


Now I'm looking forward to making things for Zahana's birthday.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, how neat!!! He will have hours of enjoyment with these. I love how their imagination takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such AWESOME gifts - they'll be perfect for imaginary play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are creative. Taking someone else's idea and making it your own is the definition of creativity in my dictionary. I love all these toys. You guys are so talented! Happy Birthday, Rohan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love , love the peg people! Where do you find the wooden pegs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, everything looks so lovely. How did you make the animals and caves? Did you carve them yourselves or buy unfinished wood to paint them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What adorable gifts!!! I'm sure he loved them all. Everything is so cute! I can't decide which is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, Jeremiah used our really decrepit-looking jigsaw. I started to do it, but the blade broke, so he decided he'd take over. He cut his thumb. Either the saw really is decrepit or we're just really talented. (Ha ha!)
    Michelle, the pegs are from Hobby Lobby. I bought the drawer knobs at Home Depot, but I saw them for much cheaper later at Hobby Lobby. Home Depot did have these cool things for hanging up some kind of rod. There were two in a package. One was the knob shape. The other one was the same shape but with a cut-out, so little felt critters can crawl under the toadstool for a home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just LOVE all of these things, Sarah!!! I might have to steal some of these ideas for my boy's birthday in February! THANK YOU for sharing!! :) I'm going to star this post in my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of the great things that you made.. they re awesome. In case any of your kids like Star Wars.. here is a blog of a mom who made them out of pegs. Maybe you can shae ideas together.
    http://www.filthwizardry.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love all the gifts you made him! I must remember this!...I can't believe that little guy is 3!

    ReplyDelete