Thursday, October 28, 2010

An Amalgamation of Affairs

Yesterday, some dear friends invited Miah and me to a horse farm. Her friend was having a lesson, so Miah helped brush the horse, watched how to put on the saddle and bridle, and watched her friend ride a bit. Then she ran off with all the other kids who were not having lessons to play with the ponies. She had such a good time. I loved how kid-friendly the place was.




Today, we dissected owl pellets with friends. First, the kids watched some YouTube clips to help them understand what the pellet was all about.
Owl Catching Lemming
Feeding Babies
Swallowing
Producing a Pellet
Barred Owl Hooting
Head Tilt (The kids got a kick out of this one.)
Various Owl Calls
Then we turned them loose with the pellets.








Bone Chart

Crows Mobbing an Owl video clip
Owl and Crow outdoor game (Scroll down.)

The sun was too lovely to not be outside. Larkin has a sudden interest in rocks, so we went to hunt Douglas Diamonds. . .


. . . and play in the mud.










This morning when I went out to check the chickens, I found Sonna completely tailless. (Incidentally, Sonna was named by Zahana after herself. That's how she pronounced her name six months ago.) This evening, I was taking out the compost and heard a rustle behind the wood pile. The Tail-Snatcher!

As is the case with the The Owl and The Lemming, "the penalty for rustling is death!"

9 comments:

  1. Oh, we love dissecting owl pellets! I think it's funny I've purchased them for the kids to dissect, and then we started finding them around the farm. Every time the kids find one, they think they have to dissect it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I thought you were going to say your new puppy was the tail snatcher! We missed you guys yesterday. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots with the horse ;)
    You see, I have a little horse lover in my home right now - and she even took the passion right to her Halloween costume ;)
    xoxo

    http://www.lifeologia.com/this-moment-my-little-cowgirl/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh me too...I thought you were about to name and shame the cute puppy as the terrible tail-snatcher!

    What fun you guys have with your home-schooling buddies! Very interesting subject!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful horse. She looks so happy :)
    My girls are big horse fans too!
    Love the owl pellet idea, what a fun way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures of your kids doing research together. What a fun teacher you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures and you are such a wonderful mother engaging our children in so many great activities.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I love the pony. I am a big horse lover. Horses are amazing for children. Have you seen my children's pony video, I have it on one of my main pages, your daughter would love it. Your header is one of my favorites. Such interesting lessons in nature. Animals we are not familiar with. They must be having so much fun with that little puppy. How house is a little crazy with ours at the moment.

    ReplyDelete