Thursday, September 2, 2010

Surprise Under the Apple Tree

Yesterday, I planted some yarrow around my fruit trees. It's supposed to improve soil quality and repel insects. Anyway, at the first tree, I stuck my shovel down into the mulch, and out popped a little bunny. It took off across the grass but not very fast. It was soon followed by a second bunny. The kids caught them, and we tried to put them back in the nest with the remaining sibling, but they wouldn't stay. They were so little and not very fast; I was afraid they'd be a quick snack if they weren't in the nest. So I made a nest for them in one of our rabbit cages and went back to planting my yarrow. I read a bit about wild rabbits and found that human scent won't prevent a mother from taking care of her babies, and the nest can even be moved a few feet away. The mothers only nurse for about five minutes a day, which would explain how we didn't notice a bunny nest so close to the house. So after the bunnies settled down, I tried putting them back in the nest. This time they stayed. I peeked at them this morning. They were still there and looked fine, but when I peeked this afternoon, they were gone. I told the kids the mommy rabbit moved them to a new nest. I hope I was right.





(When Miah saw them, she said, "I can't believe Sheherazade did this!" Sheherazade is our female angora who gets to hop around the yard. I wish they were her babies! We haven't had any success in that department yet.)




"I could not have slept tonight if I had left that helpless little creature to perish on the ground." (Reply to friends who chided him for delaying them by stopping to return a fledgling to its nest.)
— Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

  1. What sweet little bunnies! We used to have an old Mama Dog who would go out into the horse pasture and gently carry baby rabbits back to her dog house to 'nurse' them - so sweet - we had to follow her and put them back...and then keep her inside and love on her for a few days - it seemed she wanted some babies so badly...

    ReplyDelete