Saturday, September 11, 2010

Jamestown



Our book list. We either found these at used book sales or at the library.
Jamestown: New World Adventure
Exploring American History Chapter 6
American Pioneers and Patriots
Great Americans Coloring and Activity Book
Pocahontas: Princess of the River Tribes
Sir William Berkeley
1607: A New Look at Jamestown
Journey to Jamestown
Our Strange New Land
The Starving Time
Surviving Jamestown
Life of the Powhatan



Notebooking Pages
Pocahontas
Homeschool Share - We used the seal of the Virginia Company and the Nine Men's Morrice game board from this page.
Life at Jamestown
17th Century Overview



The Jamestowne Survivor game

Jamestown Replica

The Jamestown Online Adventure

And we've been making outfits. The girls wanted to dress up like the Powhatans, and the boys wanted to be English settlers.




I really, really wanted the boys to be indians too. Because I don't really sew. I figured I could manage loincloths. But they wanted to be settlers. Here's how I sew: trace a shirt or pair of pants, cut out two pieces, sew it together. Sometimes they're hard to get on. Sometimes they're hard to keep on. They always look better from a distance. Oh well. It's just for fun, right?


Last year at Thanksgiving, we made some moccasins using OLM's simple, cute design. We had a hard time with those fitting and staying on. Probably because they were made by me. I wanted to try something a little different this time, so starting with those instructions and adding in this design (click on the first and second pictures), we came up with something new. Here are some step-by-step pictures, but mostly, I was winging it.

This is the size and shape of the material compared to a tracing of Zahana's foot. Trace around the first one to get a second one exactly like it.


Fold in half and sew half way up the back edge. You can trim the top corners to make them rounded if you want.


Flip the material around so the seam is on the inside. Slide a grubby little foot inside.


Fold the material around the foot like a burrito.




Stick a straight pin in the material to hold it right where my finger is pointing.


Slide that grubby little foot out and stitch from the pin down. When you get to the toe, stick your hand inside the moccasin and make sure you are sewing through all the flaps but not the bottom of the shoe as you sew across the toe. Reinsert grubby little foot.


And there you have it. Sewing instructions from somebody who doesn't know how to sew.

9 comments:

  1. Here is a great tip for an Indian top from another person who can barely sew: Get a man's t-shirt from the thrift store (it should be longish on the child) in tan or beige and cut the hem from the bottom and the sleeves. Then cut fringes into the bottom and sleeves. Use fabric paint to paint or stencil some "Indian" designs on it. They turn out rather impressive for old t-shirts. Maybe I'll do a tutorial on this sometime, as I made these before I ever blogged!

    BTW, I love the moccasins--we never had those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Oh, Oh, I just LOVE this! My kids love Jamestown. We went on a field trip a few years ago to Williamsburg and Jamestown and Williamsburg was supposed to be the big deal and Jamestown just a little thing tacked on. As it turned out my kids loved Jamestown more than Williamsburg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing your description of your sewing skills - very much like mine :) Thank you for visitng me. I have been having a wee browse around your blog and am so moved by your family's journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phyllis, glad to hear it. We're going to Jamestown and Yorktown this week for their homeschool days but skipping Williamsburg. We're looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good idea for the shoes...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific - we've got to try making some moccasins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love the mocassins!!! It is amazing what kind ingenuity we can come up with!!! I'm totally pattern impaired when it comes to sewing. I call myself a 'hack-sewer', because this is the kind of sewing that I did growing up. My mom was constantly improvising for costumes. As a result, I can make up things and actually had a small business for a while selling some of my designs... hahahaha. you never know what your kids are going to do with the creative skills they get from you! :)

    ~Heather
    http://cultivatedlives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete