Friday, August 6, 2010

To Everything There is a Season

And now is the season for teaching, learning, structure, trying, grasping, gaining, making, memorizing, singing, rejoicing, copying, narrating, tasting, seeing, hearing, thinking, knowing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Crackers, dip (made with homemade mayo), and Carob Bavarian Cream (from Nourishing Traditions). (It's a good season for snacking too!)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We took a two-month break from regular stuff and did a whole bunch of nothing. Playing, drawing, making, Bible Club, gardening, hiking, water-balloon-fighting, picnicking, finding, relaxing, reading, cooking, swinging, celebrating, spinning, mud-pie-making, visiting, fruit-picking, camping, swimming, helping - that kind of nothing. We read The Water Babies, At the Back of the North Wind, Andersen's Fairy Tales, and Nourishing Traditions. And I planned a lot. I've always planned for a couple weeks or a couple days ahead. Or I just wing it. I wanted to see if more advanced planning would make things go more smoothly. We'll see. So far, it feels good to be back into a routine.

8 comments:

  1. Nice photos. I especially love the shot of the child holding the book with his toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures. I also am missing a bit our routine. We will begin seriously at September. I am still asking myself if more advanced planning or not makes things easier - will you tell us later about your experience?
    Have a nice and peaceful new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't back-to-school time exciting? I still get happy when we break out the new pencils and notebooks every year, just like I did when I was a little girl!

    How funny that you mentioned reading The Water Babies! I just picked up a beautiful 1888 copy of it yesterday at a yard sale... so excited to find it so we can read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm craving a routine here too! Right now I'm cleaning out the old stuff and bringing in the new and inspiring! Can't wait for September!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too will be interested in what you find with the more advanced planning. Still finding my way here.

    We haven't been on holiday, but with the various concerts and events we were part of recently, followed by all my sickness... well, we've had quite a homeschooling break too! An unplanned one. Just today we've got back into things some more, and it feels wonderful. :) Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Sarah...it must feel so nice to get back into some 'official' routine. We also took some time off recently and hopefully will start back to a semi-structure beginning tomorrow! Nothing to stressful or tedious for the childrenm just settle into a more relaxed way of learning. Great photographs! Are Larkin's wrist bands the faith-bracelets from Christianbookstore.com?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're silly bands - like the faith bands but not Christian shapes. Animal shapes, etc. They're very big over here.

    ReplyDelete