Saturday, August 14, 2010

Matchy Matchy

Sorting size cards.
Photobucket

Matching shapes. I cut the shapes out of white label stickers, leaving a little extra backing on so Rohan could pull it off himself.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought giving Rohan the whole bucket of pattern blocks would be overwhelming, so I gave him a little box containing only the pieces he needed for his picture. Still tricky, but he did part of it.
Photobucket

Color card matching. The smaller cut out pieces have magnets on the back so they don't slide around.
Photobucket

Color word matching.
Photobucket

Matching art cards.
Photobucket

I found these new blocks, which Rohan is not at all interested in. He only played long enough for me to snap his picture.
Photobucket

Zahana, however, loves them. She plays with them a long time.
Photobucket

Zahana and Rohan also learned about the letter M. We started by reading My "M" Sound Box. Then we made our own sound box by finding things around the house that start with "m".
Photobucket

We put together a map puzzle, read If You Give a Moose a Muffin, and made an "M" book.
Photobucket

Last, we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and made our own alphabet tree!
Photobucket

Zahana and Rohan were so excited to find their M's in the bucket of magnetic letters and put them up on the tree.
Photobucket

Photobucket

The little ones are so happy to have their special school time with Mama. I'm finding it a little difficult to make that time for them every day, but seeing how excited they get makes me ready to try a little harder.

“One test of the correctness of educational procedure is the happiness of the child.” -Maria Montessori

5 comments:

  1. You make mamahood and teaching look so, so fun. I love all of these ideas. And your kiddos look so proud and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love the way kids are so different in what they enjoy and how there gifts are distributed.

    It's so hard to make 'school time' for the younger ones, I agree, but they just beam when we make it work! Keep up the good work, and thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas for keeping the littles well occupied in a constructive manner! I love the paint-chip matching--such a simple idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post Sarah! I am so grateful for the fantastic ideas, for fun learning you share with everyone, it is such a blessing! I can get hard sometimes to think of new exciting activities by ones self!

    The pictures clearly show that you little ones are thoroughly enjoying your 'school' time!

    Our youngest had just recently started to learn phonics all by himself, which has prompted us to make more learning activities available to him without extinguishing his natural curiosity and it seems as though he is still enjoying learning his sounds.

    Thankyou for you for sharing lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great ideas and I LOVE the quote at the end. That's so true.

    I left an award for you at my blog!
    http://cultivatedlives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete