Monday, May 24, 2010

End of the Tunnel

These last few months haven't been the greatest. I'll spare you the whine, but let me just say that today was the last day of school and I'm pretty happy about it. It's time to de-everything - destress, deschool, detox, dethink. It didn't hit me until about 7:45 this evening that - whew! - we really do get to take a break now. I thought back over this last day of school and realized it was a good day. And all the good parts in it are what I have to look forward to for the next couple months. I see skies of blue . . . ♪ ♫ ♪

We went to play with friends this morning - kickball, t-ball, and a new playground.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We stopped at a nursery and picked up some verbena. Miah helped me plant them in the boxes on the deck, and Zahana helped water. The thyme we planted last year (on the last day of school, coincidentally) was looking beautiful all through the winter and early spring, and the oregano came back strong. Then suddenly they both just died. So we're replacing them with something that will hopefully attract hummingbirds.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We finished the timeline. It's a little messy-looking at the end because a jillion things happened in the 1800's. We ended by adding in the birth dates of everyone in the family. I'm not sure Mr. Revere approves, but the rest of us are quite happy with it.
Photobucket

We were able to harvest the first food from our garden this season: some lettuce for supper.
Photobucket

We discovered that the gladiolus are coming up
. . . and the basil
Photobucket

. . . and the beans.
Photobucket

Photobucket

We found that our mystery plant isn't cantaloupe but something more squash-like . . .
Photobucket

. . . and that we may have fruit this year!
Photobucket

We ended the day by planting a few flower seeds here and there and playing with the chickens.
This is Lupine, one of my Blue Andalusians. ♥♥
Photobucket

After the kids were in bed, I went to dump the compost and saw the bright moon shining and lightening bugs in the yard. And I rejoiced in the light.

". . .LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart . . ." ~Psalm 4:6b,7a

15 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog. It sounds like a wonderful last day of school. Love the timeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your nature study photos are absolutely AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear your homeschooling has been challenging the last few months. It sure looks like you were busy having fun! But I know I tend to blog about the fun stuff and hide the tedious or cranky days. Did you just get burned out? Too much on the to-do list? This has been a huge learning curve year for me, and I hope I'll have time to blog about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, you've got it exactly. Learn as you go, right? Plus the weather, which has never really effected me before in such a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad you guys are enjoying your break right away!!! Looks like a marvelous day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a more perfect day than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your 1800's wall - what a great idea! and ya gotta love baseball!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sarah,

    I think you're doing a great job, myself! Look at all the blessings you're reaping, in the garden and in your children.

    The scripture you ended with is just beautiful.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been through a couple weeks now...it was a tough last couple months for me too. I love your timeline- that is something I keep meaning to do...but it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am right there with you: We are just limping to the end of our school year. It has been an amazing time of growth for our girls (as I can see it has been for your dears), but now we all need time to spin down into play and play and more play.

    Enjoy your season of rest, Sarah! Love from Maine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so surprised to read you were down at the end of the school year! Every time I looked at your posts I thought "There! That's what I *should* be doing! They are having so much fun with it--how did I lose that?!"

    I thought it was an age-difference thing, as my oldest two are 12 and 14, and there just doesn't seem to be as much time for the hands-on and nature walks.

    Regardless, I'm enjoying a break right along with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sarah for inviting us into your world via your blog. I love reading it and seeing your gorgeous photos. I feel like I've gotten to know you even tho you live far away and we see you so infrequently...tho I'm looking forward to next summer! Love, Aunt Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aunt Margaret, We're looking forward to seeing everyone next summer too!

    ReplyDelete