Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dandelion Harvest (and extras)

On a bright sunny day, a couple weeks ago, Jeremiah told the kids they could have a penny for every dandelion they picked out of the yard. For two days they picked, . . .

Photobucket

counted, sorted, . . .
Photobucket

. . . and tallied.
Photobucket

Grand total: about $20 each!! Good thing it was only a penny a piece!
I wanted to try out a recipe for dandelion calzones I saw in Hobby Farm magazine - only I didn't exactly follow the recipe. It called for young dandelion greens, picked before the flower formed. I didn't really think when the greens were picked would be that important, so I just used whatever the kids picked. Oh dear! It was important. One taste was enough to throw the whole pot in the trash. Let me tell you, if the greens aren't young, they are nasty!
But I also tried dandelion jelly. Turned out nice and lemony.
Photobucket

A few random pictures:

Zahana, modeling the pollen that has been blanketing the area recently.
Photobucket

A trip to the zoo.
Photobucket

Rohan, feeling a little squished.
Photobucket

And for all of my family members who sent me birthday money, I want to say THANK YOU!! I had so much fun shopping on etsy for all this wool! Two pounds of dyed wool roving in four different colors, two pounds of llama roving in two colors, and two raw merino fleeces. I was so excited when it all came and can't wait to spin it. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Lovely photos---the dandelion jelly looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun sweet memories - I remember my Daddy making the same promise of a penny per dandelion - I think he was surprised at how many we picked...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter can't wait now to make dandelion jelly. She loves picking dandelions at the park and cooking the greens for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah,

    Dear Sarah, MMM, dandelion jelly! Dandelions are SO good for your liver, along with many other things. The greens can be a bit on the bitter side, but I try to get my children excited thinking about happy their livers will be to get all that bitter (doesn't always work)! :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dandelion Jelly sounds great...and there are no shrotage of dandelions here! Thanks you for sharing the recipe Sarah!

    Love all the birthday wool you ordered from Etsy! It looks so buttery soft and squishy! Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete