Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Biscuits/Crackers

Our timeline studies recently haven't been especially blogworthy -just a lot of reading. Good reading, but no projects or pictures of anything. Last week, though, we learned about Garibaldi. We listened to the excellent Diana Waring tell about Garibaldi, and I found one book at the library, Garibaldi's Biscuits. This is a unique bit of historical fiction, which attempts (in a humorous way) to explain the origins of Garibaldi's biscuits and Bourbon biscuits. I've never heard of them, but apparently they're a European thing. Anyway, when we finished the story, Miah wanted to make some. Garibaldi's biscuits are kind of like a cracker sandwich with raisins in the middle. Here's a gluten-free recipe I found. It uses buckwheat flour, which I hadn't tried before. I liked it. Everyone tried the biscuits and said they were OK. (I liked them more than the kids did.)
Photobucket

Then we made the Bourbon biscuits - basically chocolate cream sandwiched between two chocolate crackers. I tried to make them gluten-free and the recipe wasn't that great, so I won't share it, but here's a regular version to try. Chocolate, of course, won out over the raisins in the taste test. Sorry, Garibaldi - great cause and everything, but we're with the Bourbons on this one.
Photobucket

Speaking of crackers and such, a while back I had a little almond flour to experiment with and wanted some plain crackers. I couldn't find just the right recipe, so I used this one and left out the rosemary and figs - perfect!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the almond cracker recipe. I've yet to find a good GF cracker recipe. Those look like "real" crackers. I'm trying them tomorrow (and I might leave in the rosemary - my child loves rosemary!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! They look delicious...we made vanilla shortbread this week for the first time (though I didn't post it) but since then I think I will try to make a batch of gluten free for a friend who is coeliac! Tasty photos!

    ReplyDelete