Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Fun AND Our New Chicks

I didn't plan anything for St. Patrick's Day. I just wasn't in the mood. But months of gray skies apparently don't dampen the spirits of little children. Miah woke up in the mood for a celebration and a feast! After breakfast, I sent the kids off to do their chores so I could come up with something quick. Thank Goodness for blogworld and construction paper!
First we all made a handprint rainbow together. We hung the strips of colorful handprints from the fan above the table.
Photobucket

Then the kids made jar lanterns to be the pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then Rohan helped me make some Traditional Irish Soda Bread for snack. We may not have had the celebration and feast Miah had hoped for, but it really did seem like enough to make everybody feel sufficiently holidayed.
Photobucket

Even more exciting (for me) than St. Patrick's Day was last Saturday. The post office called at 10:30 pm and told us to come get our chicks. Actually they told Jeremiah to come get the chicks, because I was in bed. I didn't even know there were people at the post office that late. Last year, we bought chicks locally. This year, we split an order of chicks with a friend, because I wanted blue. Five blue andalusians and five araucanas. And a couple unknown extras thrown in. Today we had sun (amazing!) so we took the chicks and bunnies out to play.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

7 comments:

  1. Really great things going on in your home school :) It's Autumn equinox for us in Oz tomorrow and I'd been trying to figure out how to do little lanterns with the kids and cousins for an evening walk but now problem solved. Going to borrow your great jar and tissue paper idea!
    Thanks
    JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and festive St Patrick's Day.

    It looks like you had some good company, with Chicks and bunnies, to enjoy some lovely sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos of the children playing with the chickens and the bunnies Sarah. :) Poor Saraya melts with sadness every time she sees kids who have rabbit pets - we're not allowed them in QLD. :( But would dearly love them!
    Well done on the the spontaneous projects... I too couldn't do without the internet. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas Sarah! I also printed off a similar idea of doing a rainbow with coloured hand prints...but I didn't get around to it yet ;)

    I loved the photograph of your son cuddling the chicken! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such wonderful times! Isn't it wonderful that children are happy with the simple things? It saves us mamas so much work! :)

    The chicks are so sweet; makes me want to get more (but we're moving soon, so that would be BAD!).

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my but the picture of your daughter holding her lit lantern was breathtaking. Such mood! Simply beautiful.

    I found you through a subscriber of my blog ( I peek at what every one reads. I find LOTS of amazing blogs this way! ;) ) But, I'm off to read some more.

    We're unschoolers/ montessori/ waldorf/ mason...really eclectic! learners.

    Honey
    www.mondorfment.blogger.com

    ReplyDelete