Saturday, March 6, 2010

Preschool Play

Zahana has been really interested in shapes lately. I caught her standing on her little table, reaching up. I thought she was messing with the thermostat and quickly put her on the floor, but then she pointed and said, "Circle!" It was Aunt Jessica's artwork, full of bright shapes, that had caught her attention. So I set it down on the little table for her and Rohan to touch. She told me all the shapes she could find on it. It was neat for me to watch her so engaged in the colors and shapes and textures of the sculpture.
Photobucket

Shape matching. The base shapes are drawn onto the pink paper - you just can't see them in the picture.
Photobucket

I introduced her to the Child-size Masterpieces, which she loved. She kept telling me, though, that the pictures weren't exactly alike, because one has a green dot and one has a yellow dot.
Photobucket

The dots are for organizing the pictures in the folder. Putting away the cards properly seems to be just about as pleasing as sorting and matching.
Photobucket

When she was done with those, I let her match the cards in the Where Art Thou? game. With all of one set of cards laid out on the table, I would give her one card from the other set and tell her to find the match. She would find it with her eyes and then lay her finger on one very near the correct card and proceed to touch every other card in a long path until her finger finally landed on the correct card. Then she would laugh and laugh and lay the matching card on top. It made the game long, but she loved it.
Photobucket

Rohan tried it out too and did very well. I only laid out a few cards at a time for him.
Studying. . .
Photobucket

and making a match! I wish I could have gotten a picture of their expressions when they made the match. They were very delighted with themselves.
Photobucket

"Reading"
Photobucket

A yellow muffin tin breakfast. Pineapple, cheese, banana, applesauce, bell pepper, eggs, pineapple juice.
Photobucket

Tracing big letters. First with fingers.
Photobucket

Then with trains.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Zahana and Rohan have it good. They don't have to be the guinea pigs in this house. Well, they have to be the guinea pigs for my more relaxed, follow-the-child approach to learning. Preschool is going to be fun. I wish I had that concept a few years ago. I know these activities look a little more like work than fun, but this is exactly what Zahana has been wanting lately. She seems to be transforming right before my eyes from a wild child to a thoughtful little girl. It is such a precious time for me.
Rohan, bless his sweet little two-year-old heart, is saying so much recently! "No" especially. And "umm" and "what" and "I'm hungry." I can't even count the number of times a day he says that last one. Over and over and over. I guess he's got to keep his figure, and with all the running around he's been doing, that's not so easy. He loves swinging on the swing set. He's usually the first person outside in the morning, and woe unto you if you touch "his" swing!
Oh, they're just all so adorable, and how the time flies!

"Children require guidance and sympathy far more than instruction." ~Annie Sullivan

"When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become." ~Louis Pasteur

"We should spend more time drinking in the beauty of our children." ~?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, Children are precious, thanks for liking my blog and little owl picture. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wonderful ideas and preschool supplies. We love hearing what your children are up to. It is a blessing to see them growing and changing as you share stories and learning activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and a great muffin tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the masterpiece activity. Great tin too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, love the link to his chubby belly! Great muffin tin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Sarah. So many wonderful ideas for such little ones! You have inspired me to do more with Will, thank you :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saminda - Zahana was really just ready. Rohan didn't want to be left out though. I was surprised how well he did with the picture matching. And just so you know, I don't do this much stuff with the little ones every day. I'm just trying to add a little here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a lovely meal for a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete