Monday, March 8, 2010

AMSE

Photobucket
We went to the museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge for the first time last week. We had a great time together and it was a good museum, but I can't say it was my favorite. For starters was this sculpture.
Photobucket
I'm sure lots of people could appreciate the time put into this and the artistry of it.The kids did. Jeremiah did. I couldn't stand to look at it. And I can't even say exactly why.
Secondly, I've always had, shall we say, a healthy respect for electricity. Don't get me wrong - I love the convenience of electricity, but direct encounters? No, thank you. So when everybody was jumping to touch the static electricity generator that makes your hair stand on end, I remained comfortably in my seat. But Zahana wanted to go, and she was too short, so they said I could hold her. Not a great idea. Everywhere her body was touching mine was sparking with electricity. Needless to say, it was not an enjoyable experience. When we got home and looked at the pictures, though, I was glad to see I at least put a good face on while I was standing in front of everyone. Miah and Larkin seemed to like the experience, and Jeremiah even made the thing spark just to see what it felt like. I thought Larkin looked so cute up there with his goofy belt and nervous grin. :)
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

And where was I when my kids were riding nuclear bombs?
Photobucket

I think I was playing with blocks.
Photobucket

I saw these pictures Jeremiah had taken after we got home. Children getting friendly with weapons of mass destruction. It's creepy.
Photobucket

OK. I'm done being weird about the science museum. I did like that it was full of science. :) I wish I could have stayed longer to read everything. All the science and history and mystery surrounding Oak Ridge is fascinating. There was an energy bowl going on while we were there, which I would have loved to watch. I found out later that a 6th grade team from our homeschool group took 2nd place. Go team!
Although a lot of the museum was over the kids' heads, there was quite enough geared toward their age group, and they had a great time. So great, in fact, that we didn't leave until an hour and a half past lunch time. So, yes, I would recommend going. As long as your not weird like me. Or if you are weird like me, stick to the parts you like.

This thing was fun. No sparking or fuzzy feeling. Just light that follows your touch.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

And the best picture of the trip. He He
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to go to our museum now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a lot of fun! I think I will need to take my kids to a museum too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't been there yet, but I agree the atomic weapon thing is just a little weird. The Secret Train that doesn't divulge it's path and requires a passport for certain passengers is freakier to me. It looked like you guys had a lot of fun. I heard if you bought a year membership to AMSE you got reciprocal admission to Nashville Science museum and the Huntsville Space Center. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! My kids would love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how neat! It looks like you guys had a blast:)
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how I missed this post, but I did. :) I just noticed it when i was looking for a reference to the art card game you use with your children. That looks like a great museum! We have a science centre in Brisbane, but that's 3 hours away. Not a lot of places to go here in our little town. :) The kids love visiting the "big city" though!
    It was nice to see a photo of you. I don't think I'd seen one before, and it's always nice to have a face to go with a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete