Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes

It took me a while to decide if I was going to make these or not. I found the idea here and thought they were so pretty and fun, but I really do think food coloring is icky. Yesterday morning, though, Larkin asked for a Valentine's treat, and my desire to do happy kid things overcame my need to do everything "right". So we made rainbow cupcakes, and we made them gluten-free, because I wanted some too. ;) My cupcake recipe included sorghum flour, so the batter was tan instead of white and our colors were somewhat muted - but still beautiful I think. I used this recipe as a guide but made a few changes. I left out the orange zest, used milk instead of orange juice, and used a whole egg in place of the egg replacer. And of course added a bunch of food coloring. The original recipe looks so good, though, I'll have to try it out. The frosting recipe was the same one as before, which is good at first but really doesn't hold up well.
"God thunders marvelously with His voice;
He does great things which we cannot comprehend.
For He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth’;
Likewise to the gentle rain and the heavy rain of His strength.
He seals the hand of every man,
That all men may know His work."
Job 37:5-7

4 comments:

  1. Fun cupcakes! I love it when you can see the individual snowflakes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last snowflake shot is INCREDIBLE!!! How did you do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Beautiful, rich pictures of rainbow, yummy goodness, sweet sweet kiddos and even an amazing snowflake... I'm so glad we can share life this way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking today of making these!!! They are so fun and playful! I was thinking through making a valentine version, with bright pinks and reds with white batter in between..

    hmmmm...olympics and valentines day seem to demand celebrating, and cupcakes seem the perfect way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete