Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hi Everybody!

Hello to everyone visiting from Lynette's! It is lovely to meet new bloggers. I hope you enjoy your time here.
****************************************************
Yesterday, I ate one of those cookies (recipe soon, for those of you who asked). They weren't gluten-free. Bad girl! This morning, while I recovered, the kids pretty much did whatever they wanted. Which happened to be an obstacle course in the living room.
Photobucket

Photobucket

By early afternoon, I was back to normal, so we went outside to do a science experiment. Finishing up the chapter on Saturn in our astronomy book, we explored the chemical reactions required to launch a rocket into space. In other words, we put alka-seltzer and water in a film canister. The book had us construct a cute little paper rocket around the canister, but it ended up being a hindrance. It got wet and made it too hard to put the lid on the canister. So we took all the paper off and watched the film canister blast into space. Over. And over. And over.
Photobucket

Then they tried their own experiments.
Photobucket

Afterward, we decided to keep going in the book and learned a little about Uranus and the brother and sister who discovered the planet, William and Caroline Herschel. We read and then they acted out the discovery. Here they are with their telescopes:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we had a nice long quiet time to read Shakespeare, who happens to be next on our timeline. It was a wonderful coincidence that many of Uranus's moons were named after Shakespeare's characters. We found some very nice mostly-child-friendly picture books that Miah especially has enjoyed.

Two by Bruce Coville: Twelfth Night and The Winter's Tale, both written in prose.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

And Poetry For Young People: William Shakespeare edited by Kastan. This one had excerpts from the plays and was lovely to read and listen too. Some of the pictures were dark and devilish and not so child-friendly, but the kids were all playing quietly on the floor and didn't ask to see the pictures. Most of the pictures were very beautiful though.
Photobucket

From The Merchant of Venice:
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'T is mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown;
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway,
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's,
When mercy seasons justice.

16 comments:

  1. You are such an active and creative family. I love that you let your children really PLAY! Imagine all the learning going on! What wonderful imaginations they'll have for it too.

    Hope you have lots and lots of visitors today.
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being the featured blog this week. Just visiting from Lynnette's blog. I look forward to 'Getting To Know You.' And I admire anyone who has the discipline to home school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. claudine@orphanscry.comFebruary 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

    Just visiting from Lynette's blog. Always a blessing to see such creative homeschooling mama's. I'm the stressed, flustered type. Would LOVE to just relax about the whole thing. It's the paperwork...the documentation that freaks me out. I would be a perfectly joyful, calm, creative mama if I didn't have to PROVE I'm educating my children :)

    Keep pressing on. Hope I can learn a bit from you.

    Blessings,

    Claudine T in MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun!! I LOVE Shakespeare. I'll have to check out those books for my kids. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Stopping by from Lynnette's blog... what a cute family you have.

    Many blessings,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah

    Just stopping by to visit from Lynettes BLOG to say hi. It looks like you have many blessings.

    I will be back to get that cookie receipe.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Janet Cowan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Just stopped by from Lynette's. Congratulations on being the featured blogger. I have enjoyed my visit. Your family is beautiful and you must be very busy with Homeschool. You really have a fun blog. I loved all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from Lynnette's! Nice to meet you! Obstacle courses are fun! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. we came here from Lynette's blog , you have a lovely blog xxlooking forward to keeping up with your posts x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm visiting from Lynnette's! You take amazing pictures! You must be a great mom. It looks like you are quite actively involved in your kids' lives. I hope you are having a great day of being Lynnette's featured blogger!

    Blessings,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from Lynnette's "Getting to Know You" to say Hi! Congrats on being featured today.

    Oh how creative you are! Wish I had more creativity! Have a great day!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm visiting you from Lynnette's Getting To Know You! Congrats on being featured! (:

    I already follow your blog, or else I;d start following you now. (:

    Hope you're having a blessed evening!

    -Marijah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopped by from Lynette's. Congratulations on being the featured blogger.Bless you in your Homeschooling adventure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I'm visiting from Lynnette's!
    Your children are so precious! And it looks like they're having tons of fun too!
    You might try putting Mentos in...um...Coke, I believe. And have the kids stand back. It blows the top right off! Very fun! :)

    Blessings!
    --Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Shakespeare, it could be very inspirational, but I didnt know that they have some that children would enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah! I'm stopping by from Lynnette's blog. I really enjoyed all the pictures! We homeschool as well and tried the film canister rocket too. the paper got in our way as well and kept falling off! That was one of our favorite experiments.

    I am looking forward to trying those cute little chocolate cookies this weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    It was nice to meet you and I look forward to visiting your blog again.
    Have a blessed week!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooo...thank you for the Shakespeare book recommendations...I'm just in waiting to receive a book to begin him with my children...Nesbit Shakespeare or something like that? I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete