Monday, February 8, 2010

Celebrating the Promise

"And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights." Genesis 7:12

Alright. It hasn't actually been raining forty days and nights, but it's been gray for long enough. Gray, gray, gray does nothing for the spirit.
Noah, though, really was in the rain for that long and then even longer floating about with no land in sight. He must have also wondered, "When will it end?"
But God had said to Noah before the flood, "I will establish my covenant with you . . . " (Genesis 6:18) Did Noah despair during the gray or did he remember God's promise?
God's promise came, sure enough. The earth dried up, Noah and his whole family were saved, and they offered to God worship and sacrifice.
And God established His covenant with Noah.
"'Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.' And God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant to all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.'" (Genesis 9:11b-13)
And God also said, "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." (Genesis 8:22)
See, it'll be warm and summery again! (I have to remind myself.)
And to help me remember, I've decided to start making rainbows. I want rainbows everywhere to help bring to mind all of God's promises.
I started last night with these little rainbow kids.
I set them up on the table so that the kids would see them first thing in the morning. I think Larkin enjoyed them most. He lined up "The Longhair Army". . .

. . . and sent a fierce north wind to knock them down!
The little rainbow drops were not completely defenseless though. They can disguise themselves as fungus balls.
After breakfast, I showed Miah how to make a rainbow rug for the log cabin Grandpa B. made.
It's not finished, so that will give us a rainbow to work on tomorrow. The rainbow kids also helped out with math - as in 4 divided by 4 and 20 divided by 4 and 12 divided by 4 and . . .
Rainbow math is happier math. :)
And here's a bright rainbow: I met the little girl from Haiti I asked you to pray for. She was at church yesterday. And word is that her sister should be coming in a day or two! Keep praying. God is faithful. He is always faithful.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful rainbows! Much needed on all these gray days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminds me of the Sara Groves song...

    "...Season by season, I watch Him, amazed; in awe of the mystery in all of His ways. All I have need of, His hand will provide. He's always been faithful to me..."

    Happy Tuesday to you all...

    ~~Camie~~

    ReplyDelete