Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Woollies

Photobucket
This is my Christmas present!
I love spinning wool and have been wanting a wool animal ever since I left home to go to college and had to leave my sheep behind. Ten years later, here they are! Three (three!) angora rabbits. :) :) :) Three angora rabbits!
We've been trying to find someone who sells angoras for a few weeks. Finally, we were able to go yesterday and pick out these lovelies. Actually, I was supposed to be getting a pair, but there were so many to choose from, and I just couldn't decide. My dear, dear, sweet husband let me get three. Let me tell you, he really loves me.

This, my friends, is Sheherazade Moonsilver. She is a chinchilla French Angora. She is actually a pretty small bunny, but her coat is amazingly huge, which was the reason I had to have her.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And this big beautiful bunny is Sultan. He is a sable French Angora. He is just beautiful. I fell in love with his color and couldn't pass him up.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's my little Cocoa Butter (aka Butter Boy.) He is a chocolate pointed Satin Angora. I had no idea the lady would sell me a satin. I was so excited. His coat is so silky, which of course is why I had to bring him home with me.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They are all so sweet and gentle. We let them hop around the yard in the sunshine today. Except for Sultan. He was trailing fur everywhere, and I didn't want to lose it all. It took me most of the day to decide whether I would clip or pluck his wool. I ended up clipping it. I didn't finish, but seeing that luscious wool sitting in the box, waiting for me to spin it, made me so excited. Poor Sultan looks rather ridiculous now though. And Sheherazade is next. She was losing quite a bit of wool too. I don't think little Butter Boy's ready to be clipped yet. He was more active than the other two, hippity-hopping around the yard. I love it!
I love my hubby too. He's a good one!

14 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! What a great gift and gift-giver. He's definitely improved since he was a boy. I could tell stories... :) Wish we lived closer to you all. Let me know when you buy a farm, maybe we'll come be farmhands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky:) How lovely to have all these beautiful lovlies! They are so adorable! So fluffy and soft. Enjoy spinning their fibre...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so exciting! I really want to spin, too, but I knew very little about angora rabbits! I imagined I'd have to have land for sheep... now you've got me dreaming a new dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crunchy - I've been waiting for land all this time too. It just suddenly occurred to me that you don't have to have land for rabbits. And rabbits provide wool! I don't really know anything about them either - but I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through Dalyn's post on farm life and became curious as to what your Christmas present was too! This brings back soooo many memories. Six years ago I fell in love with angoras and Hubby surprised me with 2 for Christmas! We now have 21 of them! I know what you mean about going to purchase them. Two years ago we went to purchase 2 english and came home with 4! LOL I LOVE to spin our angora fiber, I get so spoiled running my fingers through it and then crocheting with acyrlic yarns, they feel awful after having your hands in this stuff!!! Enjoy your rabbits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to keep reading your play-by-play on how you spin this wool, what you make with the wool, how the rabbits are behaving themselves...all of it. This is fascinating and so completely new to me. Keep us updated with every detail. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sarah...I'm so very excited for you. And I am waiting with baited breath to read all about your clipping/spinning/creating adventures. I've not tried spinning angora and am dying of curiosity as to how it is done.

    I can't even imagine how excited your kiddles were...

    I'm just wondering - are you planning on breeding them? Good heavens, they're babies would look like blooming milkweed! So, so sweet!

    Happy Weekend to you, my friend!

    ~~Camie~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camie, I've never actually spun angora before, but I can't wait to try. My spinning wheel is being borrowed right now, so I'll have to wait a few weeks. I would love to breed them and have a whole bunch of bunnies, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness those bunnies are fluffy! I bet they make really good live pillows...as long as they don’t bite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Sara! I'm so excited for you! I'm interested to know how you like keeping the bunnies and would love to know how much work it is...sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy the care of rabbits for spinning's sake...Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! We have 2 pet bunnies....do wonders for the garden, but it is on my list to get them an outdoor living area to get more exercise- and their litter out of my house. I would love some like yours though! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fantastic rabbits. They are beautiful and a delight for all of you. Do let us know how you get on spinning up their beautiful fibre - such great colours. The children must really enjoy your new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are gorgeous! What a wonderful Christmas gift. I can't wait to see all you do with that lovely hair!

    ReplyDelete