Saturday, October 31, 2009

Suppressing Suppositions

So I've been felling a bit guilty about not doing appropriate fall-nature-craft-activity-sort of things. (Oh the things we think up to feel guilty about!) We've been out there, you know, in nature, collecting leaves and things and just dumping them in a pile on the kitchen table. Shouldn't I be making leaf art and pressing them into books and being lovely and creative? Well, as much as I enjoy that sort of thing, it turns out that dumping the stuff on the table was really all I needed to do.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I love these adorable little critters. I could have shown them how to make the little people, but I would never have been clever enough to come up with the caterpillar or snail. It's a good thing I was busy making breakfast.
Photobucket
Gluten-free Apple Skillet Cake

4 Tbs. butter
4 c. apple, cored and thinly sliced
2 Tbs. lemon juice
4 Tbs. water
3/4 c. sucanat
1 tsp. cinnamon

1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. potato starch flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 c. sucanat
4 eggs
2/3 c. mayo
1/2 tsp. salt
milk

Heat oven to 350. In 12" cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add next 5 ingredients. Cook until apples are softened but not mushy.
In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except milk. Scoop juices out of skillet and mix into the batter. Add milk, if needed, to make a thick-cake-batter consistency. Scrape apples out of skillet. Pour batter into skillet and top with apples. Bake about 40 minutes.

*This recipe adapted from Bette Hagman's clafoutis in More From the Gluten-free Gourmet. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, just bake it in a 9x13 pan and call it Gluten-free Apple Cake.
Photobucket

"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he builds a stone wall with his wooden blocks or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experiences."
- Anne Sullivan, tutor to Helen Keller

8 comments:

  1. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you! ;) YEA for acorn caterpillars! JUST AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote from Anne Sullivan - oh so true! Yep, we just need to let go sometimes and allow children to direct their own learning. This year has been a year of letting go for me with homeschooling, and Saraya has never been happier! Yet she is still learning and progressing beautifully. And I am less stressed. And she is more creative! It's good all round. :) I love your children's creations, so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the craftiness. Kids have great imagination when it comes to crafts, and everything else. And the Apple Skillet Cake... YUM! You do realize I must go and make one now. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful creations! Don't you just love it when the 'unplanned' happens?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is potato starch flour the same thing as potato starch? If so I have some...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful acorn and leaf art! The skillet cake looks wonderful and gluten free, even better!

    Have a lovely day,

    Warmly

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby, I don't know, but I think I would go ahead and try it. I use a lot of gf flours and starches interchangably.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun activity~so creative! And the cake looks delicious, too.

    We've not done many crafty autumn things, either at our home; we may have to round up some nuts and dump them on the table! :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete