Saturday, September 5, 2009

Taking From the Day

In the garden, we have a few little bell peppers left and lots of magnificent zinnias. They are such a bright spot of color! I love them!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Our three roosters. That means we have only two hens. That's really all we wanted anyway, so that's OK. The problem is, these boys are starting to crow. We need to figure out what to do with them before the neighbors start complaining. I can't really eat Magnolia, Maple, and Hollyberry, though I wouldn't mind if somebody else wants to. I just can't find anyone to take them.
Photobucket

Miah made me a present! What is it?
Photobucket

Okra! And . . .
Photobucket

. . . something hatching!
Photobucket

The wisteria is taking over the deck. I'm really excited about that. Jeremiah, who would probably prefer to cut it down, was very generous to build a trellis for it. (Thank you, Honey! :)
Photobucket
Photobucket

More on Venus from Miah. Click to read her "funnies".

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Larkin had a picture too, but I don't know what happened to it. He's probably sleeping with it. He spent about an hour today looking through the Rainbow Resource catalog, trying to find something about Davy Crockett. I finally told him that I would pick up some Davy Crockett books at the library next time I go. He was excited, yelled out the news to Miah, and ran off to play. Yesterday, Miah and Larkin made a "squirrel trap". Miah asked what they could use for bait, and I told her she could have some corn-on-the-cob from the fridge. She thanked me repeatedly. This morning, I heard them talking about checking the trap. Larkin said, "What if there's a squirrel in there when I lift it up?" To which Miah replied, "Quickly put it back down and grab a knife." Guess they were hoping for a meal! There was a lot of clay play (the entire morning) involving aliens and Santa Claus. And last night when I went upstairs to tuck Miah and Larkin into bed, they looked out the window and saw something really bright near the moon. We ran downstairs to check the planet finder. It was Jupiter! Larkin insisted that I write, "Jupiter: the first planet that we saw" on a piece of paper. Oh, I forgot to mention one of the little experiments we did when studying Venus. To demonstrate how atmosphere helps hold the heat from the sun in, we boiled one cup of water in a pan without a lid and then a cup of water in a pan with a lid. Of course, the pan with the lid boiled faster. All of the activities for this planet came straight out of the Apologia astronomy book.

"The Architect of the world never does the same thing twice. Every day is an entirely new creation. Take as much as you can from what each new day has to offer." -Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav (1772-1810)

6 comments:

  1. Your zinnias and wisteria ARE LOVELY!!! LOL about the "aliens & Santa Claus"...what a combo! Totally cracked me up! :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments :) Your blog is wonderful, I love to spin, yesterday I spun up some Camel Silk, I enjoyed spinning it very much. I hope you do spin again soon, I would love to see your yarn. Have a lovely day...

    Regards

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nature pictures are SO beautiful! You're a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the zinnias. They are my this-time-of-year favorite, and I have hardly any this go-round. Darn cold, wet start. I should have done seedlings instead of slug-yummy seeds.

    And I'm sorry about the THREE roosters. We do love our one guy, but three...? Your Maple looks a lot like ours-- only our Maple is a hen.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures of the flowers, the children, the hatching things, the chickens...

    Have you tried posting a give-away notice at your local feed store? Good luck...and thinking of you today and in the days to come, friend.

    ~~Camie~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Santa Claus and aliens...squirrel meat... your kids are precious! :-) (And I love your photos!)

    ReplyDelete