Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Purim to Porridge

Purim? In September? Yes! King Xerxes, Esther, and Purim were the next figures on our timeline, so we had a little fun with it. After coloring and hanging the figures, Miah and Larkin made some groggers. I really didn't put myself out on this one. They basically needed a noise maker, so I gave them some bottles, rice, wrapping paper, and tape. There are some online instructions for much cooler groggers, such as these (the real deal) and these (pretty, pretty.) Then we made hamantaschen. We used raisins, honey, and cinnamon for the filling.
Photobucket

Then they dressed up in whatever they wanted, and I read the book of Esther aloud. Whenever I said "Haman", they shook their groggers and said, "We don't like Haman!" Halfway through, we took a break to eat the cookies then returned to the story.
Photobucket

I don't think I mentioned that a couple weeks ago, Miah filled a notebook page with books she has read (meaning one title per line.) So we made a special treat together. Today, Larkin finished his first page. Fortunately, he wanted sugar cookies, so I just gave him half the hamantaschen dough to do with as he liked. Finishing their first pages really gave them a sense of accomplishment. (This is how Larkin reads. I have no idea why. It seems like his feet are always into everything! Drives me crazy, but it seems to suit him just fine.)
Photobucket

Our timeline was beginning to look really messy. Not being able to fit everything on, I just taped up a couple pieces, but even that wasn't enough (plus it was just getting ugly.)
Photobucket

So after thinking about what would be the best thing for it, I took it all down and made a new and improved one.
Photobucket

Since there wasn't as much going on the first 2000 years, I made that portion half the length it had been previously. This was actually suggested by the the timeline figure maker, Amy Pak, but being only 4 and 6 when we started this, I wanted the kids to really see the progression of years. In order to continue though, it really needed to be done, and I think the kids can grasp the idea a little better now.
For the rest of the timeline, I doubled the length of years and made it as wide as the length of three regular pieces of paper. Every 100 years is as long as the width of a regular piece of paper. That way, when we're finished and take the timeline down, it can be cut and folded to fit in a binder. Each page in the binder will be 100 years.
The top picture shows the middle of the wall. The bottom picture shows that the figures have been pushed back closer to the corner and the rest of the timeline extends to the right of the picture all the way to the end of the wall.
Also we're now attaching the figures with a glue stick instead of tape so they lay flatter.
I don't know if any of that made sense to anybody but me, but the point is the timeline looks a lot better!

So anyway, I made some teff porridge. You just boil 3 cups of water, stir in 1 cup teff (grain, not ground), reduce heat. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve with butter and salt (like grits) or honey, cinnamon, and milk (like oatmeal.) I like discovering new gluten-free grains. Rice gets a little old.
Photobucket

"Use your creativity to make learning delicious!" -Sally Clarkson

9 comments:

  1. Booo Haman! I just did Beth Moore's Bible study on Esther this summer and learned so much. And can I just say for the umpteenth time, I think your kids are so stinkin lucky to have you as their mom and teacher. I HONESTLY want to just hang out at your house for a while and just play and learn with you guys. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm de-lurking here! I just love your blog posts, and I had to comment on this one! My best gal pal and I are doing the Beth Moore Esther Bible Study together, so I enjoyed reading about what you're doing with your kids! And thanks for all the great gluten free recipes! It's nice to mix it up sometimes, eh?
    ~Brienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo of your son reading with the book held with his feet : ) Your days look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEED to do this. Talk about making HIStory come to life...

    And teff with butter? A must. I think butter is a food group unto itself...

    Love the way Larkin reads. It leaves his hands free. Does he turn the pages with his toes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. He uses his hands to turn the pages. He reads in a great variety of positions - sometimes using hands, sometimes feet - but never in a really normal reading position. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. I am a fan of hands on learning as well. I love how you improved your timeline.
    Blessings,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your timeline. Here is the website for the Delicious Classification: http://www.education.com/activity/article/delicious-classification/ if you want to check it out. See ya Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this the other day but evidently I was in a rush (sigh) and didn't comment.
    We have a timeline, too, (course, ours is a science-y one) but ours is directly on our wall. (it's downstairs, not marker on the wall in the livingroom, :) )
    It goes down our stairway and around the halls of the basement.
    We love it! I keep thinking we need to put a few things up that we've read about like Pocahontas and Magellan.

    The game you played sounds fun! The babes look like they were enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked seeing your timeline. We haven't started one yet--I just can't decide how I want to do it.

    ReplyDelete