Thursday, August 6, 2009

Considering

Photobucket

If you want to visit the Smoky Mountains in the summer, you'll be doing so with a LOT of other people. I prefer my woods and mountains a little less populated, so we've been hanging around the house the last few weeks. Since the public schools in the area started back this week, yesterday seemed like a good day test the waters - literally. We found them blissfully quiet.
Until we arrived, of course.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

"Reverence for life, as a wonderful and awful gift . . . is a lesson of first importance to a child: -
'Let knowledge grow from more to more;
but more of reverence in us dwell.'
The child who sees his mother with reverent touch lift an early snowdrop to her lips, learns a higher lesson than the 'print-books' can teach. Years hence . . . all the 'common information' they have been gathering until then, and the habits of observation they have acquired, will form a capital groundwork for a scientific education. In the meantime, let them consider the lilies of the field and the fowls of the air." - Charlotte Mason

11 comments:

  1. I hate to admit it, bu I always look forward to when the public schools start back, cause it is so much easier to tote my kids out and about and enjoy the area. I am however starting to get people wondering why Joseph isn't in school although he's only 4 1/2. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the woods, honestly it is my favorite "nature" place in God's creation. Looks like you had a beautiful time.

    Blessings,
    Melissa
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sarah...

    Beautiful pictures. I love seeing other parts of the country. What type of bird is that on the bottom? Maybe a crane or heron? So incredible, God's Creation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah!
    It is Sarah from Bee House Hives. I am sorry to get back to you so late about the photos. I use Picasa to put them together. It looks like you got it! :) I was looking for your e-mail, but will just leave a comment here..
    I really enjoy reading your blog, it is heartfelt. It is neat to come upon such writing, very special... what a wonderful family you have. Thanks for putting yourself out there. Lovely to meet people such as you through your words and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics, once again!
    Hey, I like your background too! My friend has the same one. I really like this site better than some, not too cutesy!
    Hopefully one of these summers you can roadtrip out here for an AAI reunion and stay with your cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful collage of homeschool in action. It breaks my heart that school kids are back in their seat, at their desks, when the world is so vibrant and bursting at this time of year.

    Lovely to see...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camie, The bird is a great egret. I wanted to put on there what all the flowers and creatures are, but it was getting late so the blogging got cut short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place to live. I love the mountains. I love your post and the beautiful collage!

    Use the stem and leaves of the jewelweed for the poison ivy tonic. I usually pick about half of the plant and go for the non-flowering ones so they can reseed and you probably get more medicinal value from them.

    Have a lovely weekend. I love the background of the blog btw, really pretty.

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful outing! :) My kids always so enjoy trips to the lake or outdoors also...you are an inspiration to just incorporate learning into EVERYTHING we do!

    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a lot of fun!
    Beautiful collage, very nice compesiton.

    ReplyDelete