Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Week-ful

A bit of our week in learning, playing, and eating.

Self-portrait.
Photobucket

Oath of the Horatii by Jacques-Louis David
Photobucket

Oath of the Horatii by Miah.
Photobucket

Balloon solar system.
Photobucket

Learning about place value.

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Sweeping practice.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Opening and closing jars . . .
Photobucket

. . . zippers . . .
Photobucket

. . . and a variety of other containers. Flip-top lids, plastic egg, spring-type jars - each with little toys inside as an incentive.
Photobucket

Miah and Larkin took a few pictures of our evening baseball game.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Zahana ran around the bases with a chicken tucked under her arm.
Photobucket

Rohan likes to pinch the chicks' beaks. For some reason.
Photobucket

The tomatoes are doing well this year, and we have a few green peppers too. My friend, C, gave me some wonderful recipes.

Photobucket

C's Salsa
2 c. tomatoes
1 c. bell pepper
1 tsp. salt
squeeze of lime
jalapeno to taste
1 mango
1 clove garlic
1/4 onion

Blend in food processor. (I use a blender. You kind of have to shake it down as it blends. Since the blender chops it too fine, I reserve some of the tomato and green pepper and chop it by hand to give it a better consistency.)

Photobucket

C's Dip
2 avocados
2 tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1/4 onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 jalapeno
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Adjust quantities to suit your taste. Good for dipping chips, crackers, or veggies. I could it all myself!

8 comments:

  1. ...can I come learn with your kids too?...:-) What a wonderful week of learning! So, you "school" year round? Or do you follow a schedule of some sort?

    Yum! That salsa sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We take June off and several weeks in December. I like having flexibility throughout the year and not being confined by a fixed schedule. This way, if my parents come down for a few days for example, I don't have to worry about doing school those days and I don't have to stress about getting enough days in. There's not really a big push at the end of the year to cram things in. It also sets a more relaxed pace throughout the year, since we have a year instead of nine months to accomplish what I have planned for that grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a GREAT mom- just had to say that! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that photo with the girl and the chicken is so beautiful and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful time. That picture of Zahana holding that chicken make my heart smile. How adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that pic of Z holding the chicken is just precious! Cyan and Logan used to have lots of fun with the chickens. :) What a great week!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! From Miah's awesome art to the running with chicken underarm and pinching of beaks--it all made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thanks!! I've thought of doing something like that with our school schedule...we will see as I get more into it...:-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete