Friday, July 17, 2009

Peaches

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We had a good time picking and eating peaches at a local peach orchard on Wednesday. We only picked about half an hour before we had three baskets full. Jeremiah, as usual, did most of the picking. The orchard owner came by with his "mule" and took the kids and the peaches back up to the house.
Photobucket

This was the best picture of all the kids we could come up with. They were getting a little hot.
Photobucket

I've been making cobbler recently, one of my favorite childhood desserts. This one's made from apricots, but we've had blueberry, blackberry, and of course, peach too.
Photobucket

My Mama's Cobbler
Melt 1/2 stick butter in 8x8 pan.
Mix together in a bowl:
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder.
Pour in pan over butter. Pour 1 c. or more of sugared fruit over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes at 350. Eat as is or in a bowl with milk.

My Version: Gluten-Free
Melt 1/2 stick butter in 8x8 pan.
Mix together in a bowl:
3/4 c. brown rice flour (I had some amaranth flour mixed into that too. Ratio not terribly important, but there was more rice than amaranth.)
1/4 c. tapioca flour
1/2 c. sucanat (Trust me, this is plenty sweet. I'd like to experiment with honey too.)
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pour in pan over butter. Pour 1 c. or more fresh fruit (not sugared) over batter. Bake 40-45 minutes at 350. Eat as is or in a bowl with milk.
Jeremiah didn't even know it was gluten-free and made a compliment. :) The recipe is easily doubled and disappears quickly.
Photobucket

Time to peel peaches!
Photobucket

There is not a decent peach poem or quote on the whole world wide web. So I'll just write my own. A haiku.

The Peach Picker

All the peaches want
to be picked and eaten by
me, not by the bugs.

9 comments:

  1. Yum! Where? Is that the one off hwy 95? I found a listing for them last fall at pickyourown.org and have been forgetting to call and see if they were picking yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peachtree Orchard, The - Peaches
    15727 E. Coast Tellico Parkway, Greenback, TN 37742. Phone: (865) 856-2300. Open: 8 am Monday to Saturday. Directions: From Maryville- 14 miles South on 411. Turn right on East Coast Tellico Pkwy. Immediately after crossing into Monroe County. Travel 3 8/10 miles to "The Peach Tree" on the left. Drive up the hill. From Lenoir City: From the junction on 321 and US 11 travel approximately 5 one half miles to Hwy 95S. Turn right, go 3 one half miles to National Campground Road. Turn right and go 1 4/10 miles to East Coast Tellico Pkwy. Turn left and go 2 miles to " The Peach Tree" on the right. Drive up the hill. From Vonore: 411 North across Tellico Lake. Turn left onto East Coast Tellico Pkwy. (first road to left after crossing bridge). Go 3 8/10 miles to "The Peach Tree" on the left. Drive up the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable pictures, Sarah!! What a fun activity for you & the kids! AND YUM-O! I will have to try your recipe!

    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just pumped into you from Misty's blog..Long Journey Home.. and read you comment. As her sister in law I want to say thank you for your prayers for her.

    Lovely blog.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright.. as I pushed send I realized I spelled BUMPED as PUMPED... oh no I yelled.. so had to come back and set it straight, it is Bumped into you. I will spell check from now on..

    Have a good day :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that is just yummy to see the peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a post just for you:

    http://smallworldathome.blogspot.com/2009/07/peaches.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You couldn't possibly know how excited I am that you shared your Mama's cobbler recipe! I am buying peaches tomorrow and making this! Thanks so much!

    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh... to live in a place dry enough for peaches. :) What a wonderful thing that must be. Peach season is almost here (for across the mts) and we are about ready to take our yearly trek for them. Fun stuff! And I can't wait to pass on your cobbler recipe to my gluten free friend. She will love it!

    Thanks!

    Val

    ReplyDelete