Thursday, July 16, 2009

Keeping the Little Ones Busy

I mentioned that Zahana and Rohan have had a few new activities to do with me and by themselves. Thought I'd share.
Learning about Heavy and Light
I placed a few objects of varying weights in a little box.
Photobucket
I demonstrated how to blow the objects and then let Rohan go at it.
Photobucket
If an object blew easily, I would say, "Yay! That must be LIGHT!" Or if it didn't move, "That's too heavy!" He would usually end up pushing the heavier items with his hand. Rohan really enjoyed this activity. He is really into any Montessori or other activity I have for him and often motions for me to get something off the shelf for him. I think it makes him feel big to do these things. (I actually thought the floors were clean when I took these pictures. Guess not.)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Another activity the little ones (and the bigger ones too) liked was playing with water and kitchen stuff out on the deck.
Photobucket

Photobucket

In this picture, Zahana is reaching into a can to find the matching object to whatever Rohan pulled out of his can.
Photobucket
I just found two of several things around the house - plastic lizards, marbles, letter magnets, clothespins, etc. - and put one in a can with no lid for Rohan and one in a cloth-covered can for Zahana. Rohan would pull something out and then Zahana would have to find the match without looking. This must have been too easy for Zahana, because she would purposely pull out the wrong objects over and over. I finally got tired of it and told her she couldn't play if she didn't pull out the right one. Then she would immediately pull out the match. Actually most of the things I had prepared for her were probably below her level. I'm just not sure what kinds of things she needs to be working on right now. She's a big tease and loves to do things for attention. It seems the best thing for her is playing outside. Outside is always interesting and there are less ways for her to get in trouble. Bless her smart, curious, ornery little heart!

6 comments:

  1. The pics of Rohan on the floor blowing are so cute! Nice activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are precious! I love all your ideas! I just love schooling kiddos at home.

    You could try some early handwriting things with Zahana. Maybe some tracing letters that you cut out of sand paper, or perhaps even dot to dots you print out? Perhaps some threading cards? Those are the things I do with my kids around 3... oh, and the color matching game... you could make it a 'shade' matching game... like have 4 different shades of green on one card, and 4 different shades of blue on another. Hope that helps get your wonderfully creative juices flowing. :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val! I'll have to think along those lines and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like the water on the deck too....the most fun is adding soap and the hand beaters....LOTS of bubbles

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great ideas!! Thank you! :-) Your kiddos are so cute...I love those old wood floors!!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice pictures!! lovely!

    ReplyDelete