Friday, May 15, 2009

Herblore and Names

There are many things I want to know and be able to do. It seems that my head is filled with a little of this and a little of that and not much of any one thing.
I think I would like to know Meriadoc Brandybuck. After the tale of the Ring, "he was chiefly remembered for his Herblore of the Shire . . . He also wrote a short treatise on Old Words and Names in the Shire, showing special interest in discovering the kinship with the language of the Rohirrim of such 'shire-words' as mathom and old elements in place names." I'd read those books if they were real.
Here's a bit of herblore for you.
For ear infection:
Put some olive oil (Tbs or so) in a skillet. Crush a clove of garlic and add it to the oil. Warm gently. Remove from heat and strain off oil. When symptoms of ear infection occur, put a drop or two of the oil directly in the ear. Slightly warm is soothing, but make sure it's not too hot. Keep head tilted for a minute or two (if possible) and massage right behind the ear lobe to encourage the oil to drain into the ear.
We tried this last time Rohan seemed to have an ear infection, and it worked. If you try this for a day or so and the symptoms don't improve, you should definitely go to the doctor, but it's worth trying this first.
And here are some names for you, rather random and not related to The Lord of the Rings, but I do like them.
Leja (LAY ah) Assyrian - ruler (f)
Bror - Swedish - brother (m)
Engla - Swedish - angel, Irish - light (f)
Svea - Swedish (f)
Tavon - Irish - hillside (m)
Enan - Welsh - hammer, Biblical - cloud or having eyes (m)

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing for ear infections/ear pain. I bought a mullein plant to see if I can work with that, too. It's supposed to help decrease pain. So, I'll try a mixture of garlic & mullein in the oil. Not sure how to infuse the mullein yet, so I need to research it. Holly

    ReplyDelete