Thursday, May 21, 2009

Baby Birds

We have baby birds everywhere! The baby bluebirds are out and about now. They have been hanging around the yard, choking down enormous grubs brought by their parents. They're more skittish than the parents were so I have to be content with poor photos from far away or through my hand-smudged windows. (The pictures of the parents at the nest box were taken outside from six feet away.)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Unfortunately, the house finch that was nesting on our front porch lost her babies. She had been sitting faithfully on the nest, but yesterday when I peeked out the window, the nest had fallen. One egg was smashed, one baby was already dead and two babies were laying outside of the nest. I quickly put the live babies back in the nest and set it up on the post where it had been. I taped it up there with black electrical tape since it was so unstable. Mama bird came back and sat on her nest for a few hours, but then she left. I checked the nest, and the two babies had died. They were only about a day old. :(

On a brighter note, we found some fledgling robins that had just hopped out of their nest and were trying to work up the courage to venture from the tree in our front yard.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. What awesome closeups! Thanks for sharing - our kiddos love studying birds and nests. I'll have to tell them the grub story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love robins - they seem such a harbinger of good things to come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty pictures. What is in that one bird's mouth-a beetle?
    Almost every spring my kids try to save baby birds that have fallen. Hasn't worked yet. I even let them chop up worms w/ my pampered chef food chopper! LOL. YUCK.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, it's a grub. It took him a while to get it down.

    ReplyDelete