Friday, March 6, 2009

Bean Cake

We had supper with friends a few days ago. Despite the fact that they had never tried to eat gluten-free before, my friend made a wonderful mexican meal with a fabulous dessert. Admittedly, I haven't been eating gluten-free for long, but this was definitely the best gf cake I've had - it's like a real cake! So thank you to my very thoughtful friend, who is an astounding cook!



Bean Cake
1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 (19 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. powdered sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9" round cake pan and dust with cocoa. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Combine beans and eggs in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add sugar and baking powder and blend. Pour in melted chocolate and blend again. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan. Bake 40 minutes. Cool 10 -15 minutes, then invert on serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar.
My friend topped it with sliced strawberries - perfect! Also, when I made the recipe, I used sucanat instead of sugar, and it worked great.

If you do want some chocolate icing, here's my favorite (adapted from a recipe by Hey Jude at Recipezaar).

Incredible Chocolate Frosting
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch salt
2/3 c cocoa (or more if you like it dark)
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cream

Cream the butter, then beat in vanilla and salt. Slowly mix in cocoa, then powdered sugar. Mix in the cream a little at a time until you like the consistency - you may not need all the cream. Beat until fluffy.
I halved the frosting recipe and there was more than enough for the bean cake. Hope you enjoy this little treat!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooo... yet another veggie cake I have to try. I have a beet cake recipe I got from someone years ago and it has become a harvest staple to have around... SO GOOD!

    http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/2008/06/calm-after-storm.html

    Your strawberries look wonderful too.

    Have a great Sunday!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, the link didn't work. I'd really like the recipe though. Mind trying again?

    ReplyDelete