Thursday, February 19, 2009

Milk

We started drinking raw milk a few months ago, but we had someone bring it to us. This week we went to the farm and picked it up ourselves. We had a great time visiting and watching the whole process from cow to cup.


A brown shorthorn milker.



The kids had a good time watching the milking. . .


. . . and running around the farm.



Straining the fresh milk into a jar.


I hadn't been giving the milk to Rohan since he still nurses a lot. He was really begging for it though, so I gave him a tiny bit in a cup. He drank it up and kept asking for more.
Mmm. . . mmm!


Let me just add my testimony about raw milk here. I've been lactose intolerant for about ten years. Miah's lactose intolerant too. The lactase enzyme (that which breaks down the lactose, making it digestable) is naturally occurring in milk. Pasteurization (heating the milk) kills these and other good enzymes, making it more difficult to digest. Bacteria, good and bad kinds, are also killed during pasteurization. This leaves dead, exploded bacteria in the milk - also difficult to digest. On top of that, homogenization turns little pillows of fat into sharp spikes. Fresh milk is just good for you! And good too. We've had no problems digesting it, and it's SO yummy! I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about making the switch....where do you get yours? The cost has kept me from it, and not knowing a reputable farmer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, e-mail me privately at slj4981 at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete